An Online notebook of Orlee Pasion.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Shirt Story–the violet shirt with white org

Photo-0418
Among other t-shirts inside my closet, this is my most favorite shirt, violet color with printed logo of Ubuntu (an open source operating system). This is one of my dreams, to have a shirt of Ubuntu because this kind of shirt is not available in our region. To have this T-shirt, you need to buy it online at shop.canonical.com. Purchasing this kind of shirt online is too expensive; it can cost you up to 50.00 dollars.
It came to my mind to have this Ubuntu logo t-shirt during Phil IT Org (Info Tech Organization I below). I wasPhoto-0419 invited to talk .in Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Muntinlupa (PLMn) for their IT week. Yours truly was charge to speak for open source software. Open source, open source topic, ok I go for Ubuntu Overview. I remembered the title of my talk, “Harness the Power of OPEN SOURCE” – “I.T. Always Keep Moving Forward”. This topic suited my experience using Ubuntu Operating System (OS). My laptop OS that time was Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). I have two weeks to prepare everything, slides for my presentation and my texture. What should I wear on event proper? Hmp, I think I need to make a customized t-shirt for this seminar.
Good thing, my brother-in-law has t-shirt printing business, I consulted him if how much would be the cost if I order 1 or 2 customized t-shirt; he said “let me first see the design and I will quote the price”.
At the office, I downloaded the branding and logo of Ubuntu on their website and printed it on short bond paper. On the following day, I presented the design to my brother-in-law, simple design cost around 500 Pesos. Printing materials will provide by him. Upon double checking the design on the bond paper and he rejected it due to image was pixilated. He advised to reprint and adjust the resolution for printing, so that the design is detailed and replace bond paper to tracing paper, he said. So I did his advised. Finally I got it right on second day.
A week before the seminar, my brother-in-law called me up and tells that he can’t make it on, because lots of printing order arrived on their shop. I please him to finish the t-shirt day before the seminar. If this t-shirt not be done, I will wear polo and slacks instead. (That’s my option). Two days before the seminar, he called up again and told the good news, he finish the t-shirt and ready to pick up. I was so very glad that time. Woot!!! (Jumping high) yes! I have it.
Ok let’s Rock on! On the day of seminar at PLMn, I’m confident to deliver my talk to 100+ graduating student of PLMn. I’m proudly wear my violet Ubuntu logo t-shirt.
(Here are the photo slides of our seminar in PLMn, photos credit to Nino Venzon – the official Photographers’ of Phil IT Org) Feel free to watch Phil IT Org in Action.

Phil IT Org rocks Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Muntinlupa
A photo of yours truly conducting Ubuntu Overview
61824_162077077139211_100000107587797_557737_4198894_n

Everytime
there’s an event for open source and my schedule is free, I attended and wear the shirt too. Sometimes, people approach and ask me, where did I got this T-shirt and how much? I answer them, this is a customized and not for sale.
 
This is he story of my violet Ubuntu Org T-shirt. Yes not for sale but I’m willing to give this t-shirt to someone most needed it.
This article is my entry for Electolux Chothes and Hugs – My Shirt Story contest.
"I love this shirt! Now I want someone else to love it too! I support the Electrolux Wash-athon Clothes Donation Advocacy"